Thursday, August 30, 2012

#AugustWritingChallenge - Space - Day 30

When I was in college I called residence life -- living on campus -- the Space Struggle. When you're a freshman, there is no way to avoid having a roommate. So, all year you fight over space in the room, on the shelves, in the closets, and in the bathroom. Then you upgrade to having you're own room and you work to get the biggest room in the suite. Even when I lived off-campus it was the parking space battle. I had to have best location; it was bad enough the students had to park so far away from the building.

I was highly disappointed when I wasn't able to move on my own after college ending. Suddenly, I was losing the space battle. I moved into a small house that I share with four other people. So the struggle continued. Who gets to park in the driveway as opposed to on the street? Who gets the best cabinets and refrigerator shelves? It's a mess. In July, I thought my room was tiny. I was equating my lack of space with a lack of success.

Now, I'm realizing that maybe I was wrong. First of all, now the everything is unpacked my room is huge to me. I don't mind my roommates at all. I actually like most of them. I like that there are other people in the house. I don't think I would want to live all by myself.

I think when it comes to space we make a big deal about having a lot of it and then realize we have quite a bit more than we need... or even want.

No comments:

Post a Comment