Tuesday, August 21, 2012

#AugustWritingChallenge - Message - Day 20

It is absolutely hilarious how God will choose to send you a message. Ten years ago today, God sent me one in the form of a little baby girl, Denai Alexandra aka my baby sister.

Back then I was quite the child, selfish little thing. I knew everything. I hated everyone in authority. I spent my days playing the world's smallest violin and complaining about how no one loved me-- meaning did what I wanted them to do --and I didn't have any friends. Of course, none of this was my fault; it had nothing to do with my own behavior. I look back on those days and just thank the Lord that my parents didn't just smack me every day. Boy, did I have an attitude problem.

Anyway, after Denai came things were very different. I know had a reason to behave myself, little eyes were constantly watching. There was a person for me to think about other than myself. Suddenly the world did not revolve around me any more. Now all that matters to me is being the best big sister I can. It even breaks my heart that I'm not with her on her tenth birthday. I still have a long way to go; I still lean on the selfish side but at least now I have a reminder to keep me on the straight and narrow.

She's much bigger than this now but I like to keep her small in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment